Motorhomes, Campervans, Van Conversions and Caravans All Welcome

HomeHome  SearchforsitesSearchforsites  EventsEvents  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Thanks for visiting Motor-Homers.co.uk - Sponsored By Outsmart The Thief Ltd - A motorhome club owned by its members, Please register to join us for a chat - IT'S FREE TO JOIN ~~~~~ Your next Motor-Homers meet is: Motor-Homers Xmas meet, Shrewsbury showground, 22nd to 26th November ~~~~~ Please CLICK HERE to view all of our rallies in 2018
Latest topics
» travelling to Spain
by rebbyvid Today at 11:55

» Our George
by Polly Yesterday at 19:51

» Haven Holidays Marton Mere
by Polly Yesterday at 19:47

» Southport
by Polly Yesterday at 19:44

» QUESTION
by tessajoe Fri 12 Oct 2018 - 20:46

» Astle Park Traction Engine Rally
by Chocy boy Thu 11 Oct 2018 - 13:38

» Liverpool Giants 2018
by Ambilkate Mon 8 Oct 2018 - 23:19

» Christmas Bash Activities
by Polly Fri 5 Oct 2018 - 13:39

» Events Shelter
by Polly Sun 30 Sep 2018 - 18:27

» Gas fires for sale
by KSH Sun 30 Sep 2018 - 13:38

» AGM 2018
by KSH Sun 30 Sep 2018 - 12:02

» Isle of Mull
by Polly Thu 27 Sep 2018 - 19:56

» lotto
by KSH Sun 23 Sep 2018 - 19:41

» Wet weekend
by Polly Sat 22 Sep 2018 - 10:17

» a mystery
by KSH Fri 21 Sep 2018 - 16:22

» Photos Christmas 2017
by Polly Wed 19 Sep 2018 - 19:26

» Motorhomers mini meet?
by wints Wed 19 Sep 2018 - 10:37

» Shower tap in the way
by woody60 Thu 13 Sep 2018 - 21:52

» 8. Marbury Park, Northwich, Cheshire 23rd to 28th Aug 2018
by Suedge53 Thu 6 Sep 2018 - 11:22

» Southport
by sooty10 Tue 4 Sep 2018 - 21:17

» toilet tank
by madeinyorkshire Mon 3 Sep 2018 - 18:29

Share | 

How easy is it so steal your motorhome?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
KSH

PostSubject: How easy is it so steal your motorhome?   Wed 4 Nov 2015 - 15:24

I have just been having a conversation via email with one of our members who has had his van stolen recently.
It was a Ford transit based vehicle (As seen in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])
He explained how they thought it had been stolen so I looked into it, for about £15 you can buy something to not only pick the lock, it gives you the key code so you can get a key cut for the ignition Shocked
when you use this tool on a vehicle with just the standard alarm on, when you open the door with it, it turns the alarm off Shocked
What they do once they open the door is connect a laptop to your OBD port and disable the alarm key code so they can start it and drive off without doing any damage at all, if they just want to rob the vehicle then they don't need the laptop etc.

Best advice - Ditch the standard alarm and get another one fit, or at least look into buying a device to stop them doing this, I did a quick search and found one for £80, possibly available cheaper

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Keeping Leapys boat sailing [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.kenhacking.co.uk
Chameleon

PostSubject: Re: How easy is it so steal your motorhome?   Wed 4 Nov 2015 - 15:37

Another way is have a switch hidden that has to be turned on before the vehicle starts.  

Don't know if this will work on the newer vehicles.
Back to top Go down
KSH

PostSubject: Re: How easy is it so steal your motorhome?   Wed 4 Nov 2015 - 15:40

WOW!!!
Not being a thief I have had no need to look into tools for stealing vehicles or breaking into them and surprised just what is available out there and for very little cost, your standard door locks, lockers etc you might as well not have them on, for £2 or £3 they can be opened very easy, no damage, no mess and if anyone sees you they'd just think you owned the van Shocked Shocked

Keeping Leapys boat sailing [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
ca-diag

PostSubject: Re: How easy is it so steal your motorhome?   Wed 4 Nov 2015 - 15:56

There has been a spate of ford focus st's stolen from around the west midlands over the past two months im sure there where 27 done in 1 month. I have witnessed cctv footage of thieves stealing a ford focus in under 50 seconds not worrying about the alarm going off due to them not being there long enough for somebody to awaken, get dressed and exit the property before they had taken off. Being a Diagnostic Engineer I have most hardware & software for most vehicles and its scary how fast you can start a vehicle without a key. You don't need to have a key cut with the push button to start fords ( being the easier to start ) but even with the blade type you only need a basic blade head, programme it, break the steering lock, put the head by the ignition so the transponder ring will read and then start via the black box. The main issue hear is the OBD port so there's a few simple/cheap options here. Cut the main 12v feed wire to the obd port, extend the wire and then either place a 20amp inline fuse or a rocker switch in the line and hide it away from the general are of the obd port. Keep the fuse out or the switch in the off position until needed ( maintenance / Diag work ) then if the vehicle is attempted to be stolen they will plug in and wont be able to access the ecu the computer will just come back as unable to read please check battery voltage. The other option is a OBD lock off eBay ( I have fitted a few of these in the past and I am not a fan ) or totally move the OBD port. This is not a huge job but is effective but the only one problem with this is if the vehicle needs to be plugged in the garage/breakdown/mechanic will know where the plug is after work as in the fuse/rocker switch no one will ever now the location and of course you flick the switch or put the fuse in before the vehicle visits the garage and then take out or turn off when back.

I hope this helps

ps im not a car thief Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.ca-diag.com
ca-diag

PostSubject: Re: How easy is it so steal your motorhome?   Wed 4 Nov 2015 - 15:58

alarms wont deter them due to how fast they can enter, start and get away
Back to top Go down
KSH

PostSubject: Re: How easy is it so steal your motorhome?   Wed 4 Nov 2015 - 16:04

Having an old van I don't need to worry about the OBD port yet but I will be cutting the feed and inserting a switch or something when I do change my van, thanks for the info

Back to top Go down
ca-diag

PostSubject: Re: How easy is it so steal your motorhome?   Wed 4 Nov 2015 - 16:07

No Problem
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How easy is it so steal your motorhome?   

Back to top Go down

How easy is it so steal your motorhome?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Motor-Homers :: Community :: Motorhome Related Discussions-
Jump to: